This photograph shows the new highway that was built about 1772 from Chagford through Two Bridges and the West Dart valley where it forked to Tavistock and Plymouth.
A 1765 map shows the earlier moorland track passing to the north of the current road line and needing two bridges to cross both the Cowsic River and the West Dart River that join north of Two Bridges.
The earlier moorland track had a clapper bridge for crossing the West Dart River at Two Bridges but this was dismantled when a new bridge was built for the highway.
Updated on May 17, 2018
SX 60800 75000