West entrance to the Great House or Plympton House
It was during 1934, when this photograph was taken, that The Great House (known also as Plympton House) was purchased by The Sisters of Augustine. This religious order established a home for the mentally ill at Plympton House and renamed it St. Peter's Convent.
Before this time, the house had been part of the estate of the Treby Family. The diaries and papers of the [http://www.nra.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/fedocs.asp?FER=F10241 Treby Family (1798 - 1858)] can be consulted at the [http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/archives Plymouth and West Devon Record Office].