North Gate Arch
A copy of a painting from the collection held at Buckfast Abbey of the North gate arch. The original monastery at Buckfast was founded in 1018 and became a Cistercian abbey in 1147. When the present monks returned to Buckfast in 1882, they were able to uncover almost all of the original foundations dating back to this period, and rebuild the Abbey in the architectural style of the mid-twelfth century - effectively restoring the original Cistercian abbey. The arch of the north gate and part of the barrel-vaulted undercroft by the west cloister are now the only buildings to survive (above ground) from the original 12th century Cistercian abbey.