The first station at Tavistock had a typical Brunel-style overall roof, constructed mostly of wood. In the summer of 1887, a fire destroyed much of the station building. It was subsequently rebuilt using brick and stone rather than wood.
This picture shows the station just after the fire. Note the mixed gauge track - both broad (7-foot) and standard gauge - which the South Devon Railway were obliged to lay as part of the running powers obtained by the Devon and Cornwall Railway (and later the London and South Western Railway) from Lydford to Plymouth (Devonport). The Great Western Railway finally converted all its lines to standard gauge in 1892.