Ingra Tor (also called Inga Tor, Inner Tor, Ingater Tor and Chip Tor) stands at 1,106 feet above sea-level. A quarry - known as Johnson's quarries - was opened on the Tor in the 1840s. After a period of closure, it was reopened for work on the waste granite in the early 20th century and granite taken from the tor was used for road pitching and channels. This photograph was taken in September 1936. Taylor obviously knew this tor well - the Devonshire Association of 1937 records a Mr. S. Taylor leading the party to show them a kistvaen located to the east of Ingra Tor.
Updated on May 17, 2018
SX 55717 72404